Chicken Salad Recipe Easy
Chicken Salad Recipe Easy, made from scratch, will have your guests raving. Serve this dish as a salad or in a sandwich.
It is perfect, served either way, for a luncheon or brunch.
The first time I ate homemade chicken salad was when I got married.
My sister-in-law who already had her own family to cook for, made it
almost every Sunday.
It was so delicious, easy to make and easy to
serve. However, I've tweaked her recipe a little. I hope your family enjoys this.
Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken*, cut up in chunks
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (more if needed)
- 1/2 cup sweet cucumber pickles, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, (slicked or chopped)
- 1/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet cucumber pickles juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh sweet cherries for accompaniment or garnish (optional)
Mix together mayonnaise, pickles, celery, pecans, pickle juice, lemon juice and mayonnaise in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
Gently fold in chicken chunks, avoiding breaking up chunks as much as possible.
Can serve immediately or chill in refrigerator until ready to serve. (Many folks, including me, think this dish is best served at room temperature.)
*You can purchase precooked chicken, use leftovers from another recipe or cook chicken for this recipe.
If cooking your own foul for this recipe, it will take from 1 1/2 - 2 lbs., depending on which type cuts you prefer.
The breast and thighs contain more meat per pound than other parts.
Also, skinless and boneless cuts produce more usable meat.
Place the meat in a saucepan and cover with water. Cook on medium heat until it starts pulling away from the bone or is fork tender.
Let it cool and set in the refrigerator in it's own broth several hours or overnight to hydrate it for a more tender, juicy and tastier.
Chicken Salad Recipe Easy Servings
- Spread toasted, sliced sandwich bread with additional mayonnaise, add the chicken and top with a sweet pickle, if preferred.
- Substitute a round croissant or Buttery Crescent Yeast Roll for the sandwich bread. It's delicious... no need to toast.
- Substitute a sesame hamburger bun for the sandwich bread.
- The breads add extra flavor if lightly warmed in a microwave before filling.
- Serve the sandwich with an accompaniment of fresh red cherries or grapes.
- Serve on a salad plate lined with salad greens.
Iceberg lettuce cups are nice.
Surround the salad with fresh red cherries or white or dark grapes.
- Serve salad with a sliced boiled egg on the side.
Sprinkle salad and/or egg with paprika or place pimento strips on salad and/or eggs.
- Remove tops of large tomatoes.
Scoop out the pulp and refill with the chicken. Sprinkle with cooked, crumbled smoked bacon or bacon bits.
- Cut a large orange in half crosswise.
Remove the orange slices and fill with the salad.
Serve the removed fruit to the side.
- Cut large celery ribs into 2 1/2" long pieces.
Fill center with salad and arrange attractively on a serving platter.
- Top various crackers (Butter Crackers are excellent) with the salad and serve arranged on a platter.
If making the Chicken Salad Recipe Easy for appetizers it is best to cut or chop the ingredients into smaller pieces.
Return to Salad Recipes